The Kruse Law Firm is here to assist you in all aspects of criminal defence law. If you have been arrested and charged with assault in Cambridge, we have an experienced and knowledgeable team of expert criminal lawyers who know every aspect of the law. Our outstanding team of criminal defence lawyers will build a strong defence for your case and can assure you that we are committed to protecting your rights every step of the way.
Michael Kruse is the owner and founder of the Kruse Law Firm. Throughout his career, which has spanned over 30 years, he has successfully defended countless defendants who were arrested and charged with assault. As a senior criminal defence lawyer, he knows what it takes to build the strongest case for his clients and strives to ensure that their rights are always fully protected.
Cambridge Assault Lawyer
Our team of experienced Cambridge assault lawyers is dedicated to making sure you have the best defence to reduce or even have the charges against you dropped in your case. For our clients who choose to plead guilty, our strong negotiation skills and courtroom advocacy will help you obtain the lightest possible sentence, and we are often able to avoid criminal records for simple assault guilty pleas. There are different types and levels of assault with which you could be charged.
What Is Assault?
Assault is an act of violence that involves force inflicted on another person directly or indirectly without their consent. Different types of assault exist as well:
- Assault with a weapon involves a violent act while using a weapon
- Assault causing bodily harm
- Aggravated assault, which is the most serious form of assault, involves the infliction of a serious injury that can be permanent, disfiguring or endangers the life of the victim
- Sexual assault involves a non-consensual sexual act against another person
- Aggravated sexual assault is even more serious and often involves the use of a weapon to commit the sexual assault or where bodily harm is also caused
- Assaulting a peace officer involves an act of violence against a civil officer whose job is to preserve law and order.
Consequences of Assault
Depending on the type of assault, a person who is convicted of the crime can face harsh penalties. For example, assault with a weapon can result in a maximum of ten years in prison. Sexual assault can result in a prison term of up to ten years if the victim is over 16 or a maximum of 14 years if the victim is younger than 16. More severe assaults, such as assault causing bodily harm or aggravated assault, can result in a maximum ten or 14-year jail term, respectively.
There are alternative penalties available in Cambridge for individuals charged and convicted of assault that involve something other than imprisonment. The Direct Accountability Program (i.e. diversion), a peace bond, discharge or conditional discharge may be available to avoid a criminal record for minor assaults. Other sentencing penalties short of a jail term, include a suspended sentence (i.e. probation), fines or a fine coupled with probation.
Defences for Assault Charges
The Kruse Law Firm can build a strong defence against assault charges. Common defences include:
- Reflex action, which involves involuntary action due to an outside source;
- Consent means the complainant consented to an assault or engaged in a mutual fight with the defendant;
- Defence of person is another term for self-defence or defence of another person
- Defence of property involves the use of reasonable force if a person’s property is threatened or trespassed upon.
Why You Should Retain Us
Being charged with assault is a serious matter which can have negative repercussions on all aspects of your life and future. You should take immediate action and contact a lawyer at Kruse Law Firm in Cambridge. We will fight to protect your rights and freedom and will listen to you and provide you with timely legal advice. Our expert team of lawyers in Cambridge knows how to build the best possible defence against assault charges.
Contact the Kruse Law Firm via phone or email immediately to meet with one of our skilled criminal defence lawyers. You are under no obligation to hire us but will have a chance to figure out your next steps and decide what is the best course of action for you. We will advise you on the law and your options. Get in touch at your earliest convenience.
Our Kitchener office is conveniently located for Cambridge residents (including Galt, Preston and Hespeler).
Kruse Law Firm operates out of our offices in Kitchener, London, Toronto, and Windsor to assist clients throughout Ontario.