The thought of entering the legal process if you are accused of sexual assault can be petrifying. The unfortunate fact is that your life may be significantly impacted in several ways whether or not the allegations are true. The best legal strategy is to respond as quickly as possible with an experienced sexual assault defence lawyer by your side. False accusations are reviewed with the same scrutiny as legitimate claims. In regard to cases of this nature, there is a heightened level of vigilance in Canada’s court system. According to Statistics Canada’s website, cases that were previously classified as “unfounded” are going to be reviewed after the quality of data was questioned. It is best to have a skilled and knowledgeable criminal lawyer by your side as you defend your case.
Managing False Allegations
As mentioned, speed and efficiency are vital if you are to aggressively confront the allegations ahead of you. It is important that you protect yourself and plan your defence the moment you suspect you are being investigated. However, you should exercise your right to remain silent and not speak to the police about the allegations.
It is perfectly understandable to believe that if you did not do it, you have nothing to worry about and you will be found innocent of all charges. But the complexity of the matter prevents the situation from being so easy. As you navigate your way through the legal process, proactively take the following actions:
- Hire a sexual assault defence lawyer with extensive experience in this particular practice area.
- Comply with all of lawyer’s requests.
- Write down an accurate account of the events that transpired. It is imperative that you provide as many relevant details as possible. Do not share your version of events with anyone except for your lawyer.
- Compile a list of any witnesses who can verify your account of the events at the time of the alleged assault.
- Do not speak with police at any time. Facing false allegations is an emotional time and most people seem to mistakenly think that if they share their version of events with the police that this will somehow help them. However, if you make the mistake of talking to the police, any information you offer can be used against you in court.
Working With an Experienced Sexual Assault Defence Lawyer is Essential
The stigma associated with a sexual assault allegation is exceptionally damaging. Due to the high probability of charges being filed if an accusation is made, we recommend retaining the services of a skilled and knowledgeable sexual assault defence lawyer. Because the courts, prosecutors, and police take allegations of sexual assault very seriously, we advise you to do the same if accused.
A conviction of this nature will usually lead to a lengthy jail term and the loss of your career. A conviction may also prevent you from obtaining employment or traveling to other countries. For example, those convicted of theft, controlled substance violations, prostitution, break and enter, human trafficking, and sexual assault among other crimes, are deemed to be inadmissible to enter the United States from Canada.
Assuming they hire the right criminal defence lawyer, a large percentage of people charged with a sexual assault or a sexual crime will be found not guilty at trial. Our skilled defence lawyers understand the intricacies and complex nature of defending and winning sexual assault cases. We are willing to spend the time to investigate any allegations made against you and we will tirelessly prepare your defence. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to win your case within the ethical rules of the court. This can mean the difference between an acquittal and a conviction.
Contact Kruse Law by calling one of our local office numbers or our toll-free number (+1-800-699-0806) to schedule a free consultation.