Kruse Law Firm has represented clients accused of domestic violence and other criminal offences in Windsor for several decades. Michael Kruse and his team are experienced in the area of criminal defence and boast extensive trial experience that can only strengthen your case. This savvy team of lawyers has collective expertise that can ultimately result in the charges against you being dismissed or dealt with as leniently as possible. If you are arrested for domestic violence in Windsor, it is essential to get in touch with a good criminal defence lawyer as soon as possible.
WINDSOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LAWYER
Domestic violence is a crime that is often confused with a typical assault charge or other violent crime. However, these offences differ in the way prosecutors and the criminal courts treat them and it is important to understand how they are different.
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is a crime involving an intimate relationship between the abuser and the victim or involving the accused’s children, rather than between two strangers or mere acquaintances. When the crime is particularly serious, it can also be elevated to aggravated domestic assault. It is defined as physically or mentally abusive behavior such as any form of assault, threatening to cause death or bodily harm or criminal harassment. The allegations sometimes occur in the context of a breakup of a relationship or where the accuser is seeking custody of the couple’s children. A good lawyer is often able to successfully challenge the credibility and reliability of the alleged victim, expose any motives they may have to lie and win at trial.
Types of domestic violence
There are different types of domestic violence:
– Physical assault occurs when an abuser hits, pushes, shoves, kicks or restrains a victim. Victims of domestic violence often allege the severity and frequency of the abuse increased over a period of time. If a weapon is used or the individual suffers bodily harm, the accused will be charged with assault with a weapon or assault causing bodily harm. Assuming the accused maims, wounds, disfigures or endangers the life of the alleged victim, they will be charged with a serious aggravated assault;
– Sexual assault is a type of domestic violence involving unwanted, forced sexual acts on the victim; psychological assault occurs when the abuser uses mental or emotional abuse, intimidation or threats against the victim to criminally harass them;
– Attacks against property or pets: If an abuser uses violence to damage the victim’s property or harm the victim’s pet, they are committing a third-party type of domestic violence.
Penalties for domestic violence
There are serious penalties for a domestic violence conviction. The range of sentence depends on the severity of the crime and includes:
– a conditional discharge which avoids a criminal record;
– hefty fines and restitution;
– probation for a suspended sentence;
– house arrest;
– a significant jail term of up to a maximum of six months in prison for a summary
– a maximum 5 years of prison time for an indictable domestic assault;
– a 10-year maximum prison term for a domestic assault causing bodily harm or domestic
sexual assault; or
– a maximum 14-year prison term for aggravated domestic assault.
Regardless of the level of severity, receiving a conviction for domestic violence will always have an adverse effect on the rest of your life. You may have difficulty in many areas, such as maintaining or finding a new job, securing a new apartment or traveling outside of Canada.
WHY YOU SHOULD RETAIN US
If you are arrested on charges of domestic violence, you should not wait to get in touch with a criminal defence lawyer. Time is of the essence and you don’t want to take a chance on your freedom or future. You need the best lawyer on your side to hear your side of the story and to have a chance of getting the best possible defence made for your case.
Kruse Law Firm has the expertise and tenacity needed to best represent you in your case. Michael Kruse has more than 30 years of criminal trial experience in Ontario and will fight to protect your rights every step of the way.
If you are facing domestic violence charges, you don’t want to wait. Contact Kruse Law Firm at your earliest convenience to speak with an experienced criminal defence lawyer. Call us or fill out an online consultation on our website immediately.
Kruse Law Firm operates out of our offices in Windsor, Kitchener, London, and Toronto to assist clients throughout Ontario.