One of the areas we focus on at our offices in Kitchener is defending domestic assault charges. We are ready to assist you with:
- Explaining the complexities of the criminal court system
- Successfully guiding you through the court system
- Appearing for you at all criminal remand court appearances
- Minimizing your sentence if you decide to resolve your case
- Skillfully representing you at trial to attempt to dismiss your charges
Assault under Canadian law is classified as a criminal act. It will be tried in the criminal courts because of this classification. Domestic assault is a specific charge of assault in which the victim is a family or household partner of the accused.
The crime of assault does not require that the victim be injured. A person commits assault when he or she applies force intentionally to another person without their consent. if a person carries, uses or threatens to use a weapon or causes bodily harm, they will be charged with the more serious offences of assault with a weapon or assault causing bodily harm. The most serious form of assault is aggravated assault where an accused wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of a complainant.
When the police are investigating a crime and have reasonable grounds to believe there has been a domestic assault, they must bring charges even if the victim does not want to. The police have little if any discretion in this regard. If you are arrested for assault, one of two things will happen:
- You may be released with conditions and provided with a first court appearance date
You will be held in jail until a bail hearing can be held to determine if you should be released pending your guilty plea or trial
- The crime of domestic assault is considered to be a more serious form of assault than for example, getting in a fight with a stranger in a bar. Sentences for domestic assault can range from an absolute discharge to 5 years in prison. Assault causing bodily harm and aggravated assault are very serious forms of assault which can occasion jail terms of up to 10 and 14 years, respectively. The stigma of having a criminal record for even a minor domestic assault can negatively affect your employment and future prospects.
WHY YOU SHOULD RETAIN US
The Kruse Law Firm has gained a reputation throughout Ontario as being knowledgeable, passionate, and relentless advocates for their clients. The firm’s abilities in the courtroom and winning track record, commands the respect of both prosecutors and judges in all of the counties they practice in.
Michael Kruse initially served as an Assistant Crown Attorney for the first 4 years of his legal career. During his successful tenure as a criminal prosecutor, he was able to acquire invaluable courtroom trial experience and criminal legal knowledge which has served him well during a stellar 27 years as a criminal defence lawyer.
To obtain the best outcome for a domestic assault case takes knowledge, courtroom savvy, and experience which a layperson will not have. We have many years of experience in dealing with domestic assault cases at our offices in Kitchener and are capable of providing you with the outstanding legal representation you need to either win your case or obtain the best result possible.
If you find yourself facing a domestic assault charge, we strongly recommend you contact us by phone or submit an online consultation. We will reach out to you by phone the same day and provide you with some helpful legal advice which will greatly benefit you moving forward. At the very least, speaking with us will help you understand all of your options and point you in the right direction.
Our initial consultation is complimentary, with no cost and no obligation.